There are a variety of ways you can get involved with M WOODS. Joining us as a volunteer is the best way to learn about M WOODS and many of our volunteers have gone on to become interns or full time members of staff. We believe our volunteers and interns are important ambassadors for the museum so we organize events for everyone to get to know each other and the M WOODS staff at regular intervals.
M WOODS is always looking for volunteers. Our volunteers assist with the daily operations of the museum, in front of house roles such as ticketing, information, invigilation and documentation. Volunteers must show commitment to learning about museum systems, and have a passion for contemporary art and education. Ideally they will speak English as well as Chinese.
- Full training with M WOODS staff
- Priority consideration for Internships at M WOODS
- Free entry to the exhibitions
- An official certificate once the volunteer has offered 80 hours of assistance
- Priority places for M MEASURES or events
- Special social events for volunteers with the founders and staff
Volunteer shifts are usually 4 hours and volunteers are asked to make a regular commitment to these. To apply to be an M WOODS volunteer, please download the form below and email it to: [email protected]
The M WOODS internship program places you within a department of M WOODS for three months, to gain direct experience with members of staff. If you’re passionate about contemporary art and interested in the daily operations of a museum, please send your CV and a short text about yourself to [email protected]. Interns will be placed depending on their experience and ambitions.
Exhibitions: Interns assist with cataloguing of acquisitions, documentation of exhibitions, volunteer induction and training, lead tours of the exhibitions.
Development: Interns research future exhibitions and potential partnerships, and assist with membership administration and communication.
Communication: Interns assist with research towards creating content for the website, publications and social media platforms, organize press reports, and the M WOODS archive.
Interns should be team players with an ability to learn quickly, work carefully and a strong command of written and spoken language. Interns are expected to be available at least four days a week and are offered a stipend to cover basic costs. To apply to be an M WOODS intern, please send your CV and a short text about yourself to [email protected].
Volunteers and interns are recruited throughout the year, but M WOODS cannot respond to all applications. If you do not hear from us two weeks after your submission, unfortunately your application has been declined.
-Assist the Founder with work and personal matters
-Help to arrange the Founder’s timetable, including scheduling business trips, organizing visas and hotels, meetings, and negotiations
-Help contact, build and maintain close relationships with important business partners
-Coordinate other departments, and ensure the execution of routine tasks
-Manage and execute assignments assigned by the Founder
-Strong sense of responsibility, passion, and a high standard of work
-Excellent time management, multitasking skills and capacity to cope with pressure from work
-An organized and logical thinker
-Ability to learn quick and cultivate new working methods
-Interpersonal communication skills, proficiency in both Chinese and English
-Candidates with driving licenses are preferred
Social Media Specialist (Video Producing)
- Research, write, and illustrate videos for the museum’s social media platforms according to the plans set forth by the communications team
- Post production
- Film editing, and visual effects
- Camera work, filming both inanimate or still works as well as spontaneous
- Style interviews with audience members and official speakers
- Produce 3D videos (motion graphic, transition)
- Produce 3D drawings for public art projects and offsite events
-Passionate about contemporary art or art of any form -Original thinker and troubleshooter
-Knowledge of video production, and interest in keeping abreast of the current trends in video production and 3D design
-Expertise with specific design software: 3DMax/CAD/Sketch Up, and proficiency with post production software: AE/PR/Final Cut
Social Media Specialist (Copywriting)
- Research, write, and illustrate posts for the museum’s social media platforms according to the plans set forth by the communications team
- Use surveys and web analytics to analyze the museum’s audience and schedule posts in order to optimize viewing numbers across WeChat, Instagram, and Weibo
- Research new directions for creating content, and write proposal on the basis of researches
- Generate ideas for publicizing different parts of the program and to appeal to different audience demographics
-Passionate about contemporary art
-Familiarity with the museum’s tone of voice and ability to develop this yet remain consistent with other elements of the museum brand
-Ability to write in a variety of professional formats
-A team player who can work with different people in flexible ways
-Priority will be given to candidates who have independently maintained social media platforms
-Priority will be given to candidates with a knowledge of English
-To optimize the visitor experience at the museum
-To support general operations, including purchasing materials and office supplies, assisting with finance and administration, communicating with external contractors regarding the building, being the primary point of contact with the museum’s IT support
-To produce weekly operation reports
-To manage and coordinate the museum’s office and operations
-Ability to work as part of a team
-Rigorous work ethic with great attention to detail
-A good multi-tasker
-Good communication skills and ability to set priorities
-An interest in contemporary art
Special Projects Supervisor/Specialist
As a not-for-profit museum, M WOODS seeks partnerships with, and sponsorships from, like-minded organizations in order to sustain and develop its program of exhibitions, residencies, and educational activities. The Special Projects Supervisor is responsible for researching prospective partner and sponsor organizations; liaising with these organizations; and develop events, exhibitions, and other activities in order to build a meaningful relationship with these organizations.
- Ability to clearly communicate the ambitions of M WOODS and its future projects to relevant organizations, both in writing and through the creation of presentations e.g. PowerPoint, PDF
- Experience with undertaking significant individual responsibility for projects and/or clients - Excellent communication skills, including a clear, concise writing style
- Strong interest in contemporary art
- Ability to learn quickly and work well under time constraints - Willingness to commit at least two years to the position
- Fluency in both Chinese and English
- Previous work experience in PR, advertising, marketing, real estate, and/or branding
Please send your resume to [email protected]. Priority will be given to candidates who email this address directly. Candidates to be interviewed will be informed by email.
When there are vacancies at M WOODS, they will be advertised here, and sent to our Volunteer WeChat and Weibo groups.